James Taylor

James Taylor married Ellen Beckett at St George’s Church in Battery Point on the 18 October 1849.

Ellen Beckett was a convict from Clonmel Tipperary who had arrived in Hobart on the 7 October 1848. She had been found guilty for stealing a goat.

I believe James Taylor to have arrived in Hobart from New Brunswick, Canada on board the ship ‘Peruvian‘ in mid February 1847.  He was named as the Supercargo in a newspaper article published by the Colonial Times, Tasmania.

The article mentions Mr J.Taylor as Supercargo.

2 thoughts on “James Taylor

1. Hi Anne,
    I’ve just realised the Ellen Beckett mentioned in this post is the mother of Eleanor Taylor in your previous post. I thought they were the same person, so you don’t need a link in this post. Once you write a post about Ellen Beckett herself then you can come back to add the link to the post about her.

2. Thank you Sue, sorry still on a step learning curve but I have made the change to comments as you suggested.
    I realise I have booked in for this Friday morning, fingers crossed for a smooth week as I keep getting sos’s from the family. 🙂
    I’ll write the post then, I’m keen to keep this journey up now as it’s going to make me think about and find out more if i can.